The scene of a car accident can be a very chaotic place. Many people do not know what to do, and this confusion can lead to crucial information getting lost. When someone is killed or seriously injured in the accident, these details may be necessary for a Chicago car accident attorney to help you build claims for compensation or assist with wrongful death lawsuits.
Some of the things that are important in a fender-bender are also necessary in more serious car accidents. Here are a few tips to keep in mind after you have been involved in a Chicago car or truck accident:
- Seek help immediately: If you have a cellphone, call 9-1-1 and give the dispatcher your location. In a city as big as Chicago, this can ensure that rescue personnel can find you in a timely manner.
- Move your vehicle, if possible: After police have investigated the scene and the paramedics have removed all the injured parties, try to move the vehicles out of the way of traffic. It can prevent further accidents and injuries from occurring.
- Get the names and addresses of any witnesses: If your case ends up going to trial, these people may be called to testify. Having someone testify in court about what happened to cause the accident can help you establish your claim.
- Do not admit fault: There is a lot that happens at an accident scene. You may think you ran a stop sign or did not signal a turn, but there may be another reason why the accident happened. Maybe the truck driver was sleeping or speeding and did not see you. Let the police and the courts determine who is responsible for the accident.
- Do not settle your case without speaking to an attorney: In accidents that cause serious injuries or death, the medical expenses can be quite high. Insurance companies are not on your side; they are looking to settle these cases for as little money as possible.
If your case ends up going to trial, it may be necessary to use experts to show how the accident happened and the extent of the injuries that occurred. Working with an experienced Chicago car accident attorney can help you to understand how to proceed. Knowing what comes next can help you make a decision that is best for you and your family's future.