The average Chicago resident knows very little about spinal cord injuries. For example, did you know that about 12,500 people survive such injuries each year? You may also be surprised to learn that at 80 percent, far more men than women suffer spinal cord injuries.
Common sense may tell you that if you know what causes these injuries, you will have a better chance of avoiding situations that put you at risk. With that goal in mind, this blog post will explore several of the top reasons injuries to the spinal cord occur.
- Auto accidents: Those who do not perish in serious auto crashes typically suffer severe injuries. In fact, these crashes are the No. 1 cause of injuries to the spinal cord.
- Falling: Falls may seem like a less-than-serious accident in most cases, but they are actually the second-leading reason spinal cord injuries occur.
- Gunshot wounds: A bullet can damage the body in catastrophic ways, especially if it enters the body at or near the spinal cord. Gunshots are the third-leading cause of injuries to the spinal cord.
- Diving: Victims can permanently damage the spinal cord by diving in water that is too shallow or water that contains obstacles. As such, diving accidents come in at fourth place in the top causes of spinal cord injuries.
- Motorcycle accidents: These accidents represent the fifth-leading cause of spinal cord injuries. Even a relatively minor motorcycle accident can cause devastating injuries to the spine.
Hopefully, this post has empowered you to avoid situations that could result in a spinal cord injury. If someone else engages in reckless or negligent behavior resulting in injury to your spine, please consider talking with a personal injury lawyer about holding this person responsible.
Source: SpinalCord.com, “The Top 10 Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries,” Zawn Villines, accessed Aug. 24, 2017